Thursday, February 21, 2019

Guerrilla Lit Reflection


What inspired me to write this narrative was my love for traveling to different places and some people may not know or realize there are some good/special places in our area that people may not know about. I chose to write about the local places because there are many younger people that don’t know what to do around here and hopefully this will help. I came up with this idea because I follow a hiking group on Facebook and asked a bunch of people’s opinions where they like too to go for a walk and majority of them listed the places that I chose in my narrative that I have created.

The form and content work together to compliment each other in this case because it is a new and unique way to tell a story by using Google Maps to see where these places are, and you can also zoom in on satellite mode.

The process of this creation was fun because not many people would think to tell a story on Google Maps and it tells a story in a new way and shows how many cool places there are around our local area to go to or do I just hope that people do not vandalize these places, so they don’t disappear like more places are. The challenging part of this project was picking a story that I wanted to tell because there are many different stories someone could tell. I overcame these challenges by asking the people in the group on Facebook where they like to go.

Some of the artistic choices I chose to use while constructing this project was using actual physical places, asking personal feedback from other people in the surrounding area, using different colors for the different places, and adding pictures so that people can see what these places look like instead of just describing them.

This kind of storytelling is unique different than most because the typical was to read a narrative is either a hardback book or an electronic version, so this is a different kind of way to tell a story with visual aspects to make it more interesting and involve the viewer not just with a description in the story-line. The advantage this medium offer’s is that majority of people use Google or Google maps for directions and it is easy access and can easily be shared with the public.

 I learned a lot during this creation process that I will carry after I leave this class. I learned a different way to create and/or tell a story in the non-traditional way of a book. This project helped me look at various guerrilla lit platforms that you can create a story on like Yelp, Craigslist, eBay, and TripAdvisor just to name a few of the other platforms people could use differently to tell a Narrative. There are a lot of different creative ways to tell a story that you might not have thought possible but with a little creativity and hard work anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Family Tree

For this week's post I took a step back and really looked what got me into traveling so much. Of course my parents like to travel so I g...